Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gratitude

Yesterday, in the US, we celebrated Thanksgiving. Today (friday) we celebrate sloth and lethargy. The American myth goes back to 1621, but the roots could probably be traced back to the earliest farming communities. A good harvest brought in was always good cause for thanks and celebration. There was always some god to show gratitude to and another excuse to get naked and run through the woods. Those festivals were generally celebrated somewhere shortly after the vernal equinox, after the harvest had been brought in. Lincoln declared the last Thursday in November to be a national day of thanksgiving in the US, and it became an official national holiday in 1941. Kind of ironic in that this was the very eve of Pearl Harbor.

When I was a small child I remember all of my uncles and aunts, and my mother's uncles and aunts, and my cousins being around at so many different holidays, I can't attribute a specific memory to Thanksgiving.. . .but it was a good time in our family. As I have gotten older, I like to reflect on some of the things that I have to be grateful for.

Always number one on the list is my family. I couldn't have hand picked better. I certainly miss those who are no longer here, but I am grateful that they were in my life. The thing about getting older, is that thee are more and more that leave each year. I seem to have been given a gift to be able to hold them in my heart with an ounce of sorrow for the loss, and an ounce of joy for the times shared. I miss my brother, my father, my uncles Tommy, Jerry, and Willie. My aunts Annie and Catherine. I am sad that they are not here, but so happy for the loving part that they played in my life.

The part of family that I had a hand in choosing (my lovely bride Cameron) is just as special. She is the pot to my top. I love her dearly and am very happy with the life we share. . .and lucky me, she loves me too. I may not be the best at anything I do, but I maintain that I am the luckiest man I know. Happy Thanksgiving all!!

1 comment:

OhCaptain said...

Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.