Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Home Games

I have not had a drink or a drug in over 18 years. Big whoop de do. It certainly is not a moral decision. I just can't handle the stuff. Actually, I am allergic to it. I'd get drunk and stoned, next thing you know, I'd be breaking out in spots. I break out in Savannah, or Columbia, or Charlotte, or jail. Damn if I'd know how I got there. I exaggerate. . .but not by much. By a grace which I am not quite certain of, I never went to jail. Not that I was not eligible, 18 years ago I was a much better candidate to be needing a lawyer. . .not to be one. Personally, I think booze, dope, sex and gambling should be legal--or at least decriminalized. We already have enough people in jail for drug offenses. To be quite honest, I think it is a waste of time, space and money.

On the other hand, I don't count. Our elected officials, and our law enforcement officials are hell bent on legislating and enforcing the right wing view of morality on we the people. As I type, they are trying to crack down on the rash of in home poker games in my part of the country. It is actually against the law to play games involving cards and dice in this here gulag that we call a state. It appears that this law makes playing Parchesi and Monopoly illegal, too. I guess it follows that Parker Brothers and other game manufacturers are akin to the meth labs, and Wallmart, Toys R Us and other retailers are like the local pushers. What about parents who buy these illegal games for their children, does this make them unfit? Will DSS be stepping in to take those children out of that obviously abusive and dangerous situation?

Maybe I jest; maybe I exaggerate. Our local law officers aren't joking though. It would seem that law enforcement would have enough to do, but know this, the local sheriff compares this law against card playing to the law against murder. If it is as serious as he claims, people who violate the law and help others to violate the law should be wary. . . parents and retailers, beware. Big Brother has you in his sights.

No comments: